Spring 2023 / Magazine Issues
Issue 212: A New Dawn for Climate Legislation
A Note from RFF’s President about Resources issue 212:
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA)—passed and signed into law in 2022—creates an enormous set of incentives that stand to reshape the US energy and manufacturing sectors and reduce emissions. Looking toward the future, the implementation of the IRA, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, and the Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors and Science Act will unfold over several years and will be critical areas of focus for researchers at Resources for the Future (RFF). Given that the IRA is a mix of incentive-based strategies, many of its components must be evaluated on an ongoing basis to assess their effectiveness in reducing emissions—and RFF will help in this analysis by identifying ways to improve and complement the strategies that these policies have put in place.
We began these efforts in earnest even before the bill passed. Since the passage of the IRA last August, RFF has contributed to the implementation process with related reports, blog posts, public comments, podcast episodes, collaborations on state implementation, and more. Take a look through this issue of Resources, which features
- analysis of provisions in the IRA that are related to tax credits for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, subsidies for clean hydrogen, and financial incentives for clean energy projects in “energy communities”;
- an article that reviews how the IRA will enable states to increase their climate ambitions in the electricity sector and the associated challenges that remain; and
- a podcast episode that explores how IRA funding will affect the deployment of nuclear energy.
Alongside these historic developments, RFF continues to tackle our other important ongoing work. Read the articles of this magazine for
- updates on our collaboration with NASA and how we’ve been advancing socioeconomic research through satellite data and Earth observations;
- a recap of our full-day event in the fall about pursuing a net-zero economy, which celebrated RFF’s 70th anniversary; and
- a synopsis of our two-day workshop that encouraged participants of all stripes to convert innovative ideas into action.
You’ll also get important insights about
- the economics of biodiversity and
- philanthropic support that facilitates positive change for energy and the environment.
RFF’s concerted efforts account for multiple aspects of energy, environmental, and economic progress, particularly in the context of the historic climate actions that are now underway. Just by reading this magazine, you’ve joined us in a journey toward climate solutions that we’re hoping to navigate with the broadest community possible.
Richard G. Newell
President and CEO, Resources for the Future
Articles in this issue
News and Views from the RFF Blog: Unpacking the Inflation Reduction Act
Institutional Strategies for State-Level Decarbonization of the Electricity Grid in the Wake of the Inflation Reduction Act
Nuclear Energy Innovation and Deployment
The Economics of Biodiversity
Energy Insights for Interdisciplinary Scholarship
Windows on the World: The Value of Satellite Information for Decisionmaking
Pursuing a Future of Net-Zero Emissions and Net-Positive Economic Solutions
Catalyzing Philanthropic Ambition to Serve People and the Planet